Thursday, May 04, 2006

7L and Esoteric / A New Dope

A New Dope was my first taste of 7L and Esoteric, I heard the name thrown around for while and then I got a hold of the promo release of the album which is out late June on Babygrande. I finally heard what all the hype was all about. The production is what sucked me in, 7L comes with the smooth and bouncing beats, Esoterics lyrics are above the average MC but the chemistry between 7L or Esoteric is what makes this album work. Sometimes the production dives into 80s new-wave sometimes you hear an East Asian sound but never sitting on one sound too long. Who knew new wave and hip hop mixed so well together. This album ranks up there as one of the best hip hop has to offer in 2006. I can't wait till the actual album is dropped, I would listen to the album more often if I didnt have hear "for press use only" voice over on every track.

7L and Esoteric - The Most
7L and Esoteric - Daisycutta feat. Kool Keith



Cadence Weapon got a good review in Pitchfork today for Breaking Kayfabe, an 8.0. Not bad at all, he came down to Denton to open for Why? and Islands for the Sunday night crowd at Haileys last weekend. He had some good energy for a crowd who looked like they never heard hip hop before. It looked like he won himself some new fans by the end of the set featuring a mid song hi-five run around through the crowd. Of course Why? and Islands played amazing sets, probably my favorite show of the year. I wish I took a picture or two but it was Sunday and I was feeling lazy.

Cadence Weapon - Poulet De Funk


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home